Re: [tlug] Good Book?

More on that book. I haven't heard anything from anyone yet, but I found
this on-line:

http://www.elx.com.au/item/0131861506

Linux Quick Fix Notebook
The perfect guide for Linux system administrators who want quick,
step-by-step answers to common problems and typical tasks.

"Where has this book been all my professional life? It is about time
someone wrote this book. The author covers many basic, practical issues
that other authors omit in a format that makes for a great
troubleshooting reference and for casual perusing. There are a lot of
books available that give a broad overview of system and network
administration, and there are a lot of detailed books on each specific
topic covered in this book, but I don't know of any other place where I
can get so much useful, practical information on such a wide range of
topics in such a concise and readable form. I will highly recommend it
to my friends and colleagues who are trying to manage their own systems.
I am anxious to show it to our instructors who teach data communications
and networks as a possible text or lab manual." -- Ron McCarty,
instructor and program chair, Computer Science, Penn State Erie

"This book takes a very unique approach and is very flexible. It offers
a great deal to the home user, students, small businessesall the way to
any Linux sys admin that needs a handy reference. I found it very
refreshing in terms of style, stated goals, presentation, ease of use,
direction, and the "present and future" value of the content. In other
words the author is very current and knowledgeable. I would recommend
this book to every level from programmer to manager." -- Joe Brazeal,
Information Technician III, Southwest Power Pool

"This book is an excellent resource for new Linux administrators. I was
impressed with the comprehensive set of 35 topic chapters, making this
book a very useful reference. I know of no other work like this." --
George Vish II, Linux curriculum program manager and senior education
consultant, Hewlett-Packard Education

"I would recommend this book to novice Linux users and administrators.
It covers a lot of topics, and makes it easy for readers to follow
along." -- Bret Strong, education consultant, Hewlett-Packard Company

"Linux Quick Fix Notebook is a well-written guide to designing,
installing, and maintaining Linux servers. Many Linux reference texts
are just simple rewrites of Linux man and info pages, but this book
addresses the real issues that systems administrators encounter when
working with Linux. The author provides a pedagogical guide to learning
Linux server administration. In addition, the book includes step-by-step
information so that users can quickly take advantage of the best that
open source software has to offer today. I would recommend this book to
both beginning and intermediate users of Linux." -- Joseph Naberhaus,
Professor of Networking, Universidad Del Mar

An indispensable guide for every Linux administrator

Instant access to precise, step-by-step solutions for every essential
Linux administration task

 From basic configuration and troubleshooting to advanced security and
optimization

If you're responsible for delivering results with Linux, Linux� Quick
Fix Notebook brings together all the step-by-step instructions, precise
configuration commands, and real-world guidance you need. This
distilled, focused, task-centered guide was written for sysadmins,
netadmins, consultants, power users...everyone whose livelihood depends
on making Linux work, and keeping it working.

This book's handy Q&A format gives you instant access to specific
answers, without ever forcing you to wade through theory or jargon.
Peter Harrison addresses virtually every aspect of Linux administration,
from software installation to security, user management to Internet
serviceseven advanced topics such as software RAID and centralized LDAP
authentication. Harrison's proven command-line examples work quickly and
efficiently, no matter what Linux distribution you're using. Here's just
some of what you'll learn how to do:

# Build Linux file/print servers and networks from scratch
# Troubleshoot Linux and interpret system error messages
# Control every step of the boot process
# Create, manage, secure, and track user accounts
# Install, configure, and test Linux-based wireless networks
# Protect your network with Linux iptables firewalls
# Set up Web, e-mail, DNS, DHCP, and FTP servers
# And much more...

Author Bio
Peter Harrison has been fascinated by computers since the early 1980s.
He was the founding president of PCJAM, Jamaica's first computer user
group, and was the principal systems engineer responsible for the
computerization of the island's tax collection and social security systems.

He then sought new opportunities as the western Caribbean representative
for a Fortune 500 pharmaceuticals firm and later became the
international sales manager for a West Indian rum company. Before moving
to Silicon Valley he ran Trinidad and Tobago's first industrial trade
office to Latin America.

Peter has since worked extensively in the Internet sector deploying
large-scale data centers and Web sites. Extensive use of Linux in this
environment combined with his varied business background has helped him
create this highly readable book for the newbie, the techie, and their
bosses.

In his quieter moments, Peter enjoys the art and literature of the
Caribbean and Latin America. Long rides on his bicycle provide another
guilty pleasure. Peter likes to relax with his family on short weekend
trips to the many attractions of the San Francisco Bay Area.

Sample Chapter/s
[pdf][phptr.com]
External Reviews
[link][amazon.com]
Copyright © 2004 Everything Linux Pty. Limited
E&OE

ISBN: 0131861506
Paperback 696 pages
Published in Apr 2005 by Ptr