[tlug] how do you 'web password' ?

Dear tlug,

Yesterday I was reading some stuff on the internet about gnupg and
cryptography, and something came in my mind. Now I wonder why I
haven't thought about it before or read about it on the internet...

Since we use public/private cryptography for signing emails, or
authentication to remote servers with ssh, why not use it for the
dozens of accounts that we use on the web?

Modern browsers have that feature that consists in storing all the
passwords for you and protect them with an encryption key (though I
don't know the details). But it is not really the same as having only
one key for all web accounts...

I have several computers and currently what I do is create 'random'
passwords that I choose (and forget of course ...), and then I encrypt
them with with my public gpg key. Not really practical but maybe
better than the alternative (same password for all accounts, or a
sheet of paper with all passwords).

Any thoughts?

Evan