Re: [tlug] Should we stop password protecting the TLUG archives?

On 17/12/05, bruno raoult <bruno@example.com> wrote:

> Josh Glover wrote:
>
> > I disagree. For example, if I quote someone, my attribution contains
> > their email address. It is not fair that they are now exposed due to
> > my choice.
>
> But you decided first to expose it to a public list... This would be a mistake at first.

Not if I expected that there was munging going on in the archives,
because I have been told so by the list policy document.

> (How would I give the list of the useful Microsoft support email?)

I thought about that before my post, and realised that people almost
never post email addresses, they post URLs, which would not be munged.

> > Basically impossible, in terms of the amount of work it would cause.
>
> No. Just some script could replace AAA by BBB when archiving. Not so
> difficult I guess - except if I miss something. If people are interested
> in the idea, I volonteer to do the job - except if I miss something ;-)

You have to keep a database of mappings of AAA -> BBB. That is the
work involved. Sure, it is doable, but the cost / benefit analysis
leaves me not wanting to do it. :)

> > No, I think the admin list should remain closed. Too much information
> > on our hardware and so on can be gleaned, and there is no real value
> > to making this stuff public.
>
> No "country security" issue.

I think you meant, "National Security". :)

(Note, I am not making fun of you. I realise that English is not your
native language. Just trying to educate. Ask Michal Reinsch about
"significant other" sometime. ;)

My decision is based on the tradeoffs: I think there is some sensitive
info on the tlug-admin list, and very little benefit to making the
archives open and Google-able. Hence, bad idea.

-Josh