Re: [tlug] Should we stop password protecting the TLUG archives?

As this (recurring) discussion started apparently from my post about
printers, I have no choice but giving my opinion too ;-)

Zev Blut wrote:
> * Do we reopen the archives?

Yes, for sure - this was my point in the "printer question" thread.

> * Do we attempt to protect our members email addresses?
> ** If so, how should we do this?
> ** If not, why should we not bother?

It could be a per user choice. And by default, set to "protect". I mean
old archives opening should not disturb anybody.

But it looks difficult to manage - I mean time consuming for the admin.

So I would vote for a total removal of every address occurence (header
only). People who write their email in signature or write an email
address in the body do it to be known by the community. But there are
surely some issues on this point, right?

Another option: Replace addresses for other ones. Some people have
different addresses, some being considered as rather SPAM free.
For instance, I would like my current address (bruno@example.com - spam free) to
be changed to (br@example.com) in the archives, but not in the original posting.
Much more difficult, I guess.

> * As search engines have become more powerful, almost anything we mail
> to the list will become available for an indefinite amount of time.
> Sometimes we may say things were in the heat of the moment that may
> come back to haunt us.
> ** Do we care about this?

Not clear for me. But it is known to everybody that the list was already
public (even password protected). It is always possible to remove some
messages later, and they should disappear from search engines results
(and yes, I know, it does not mean they are not stored *somewhere*).

> * Should we keep the archives closed, but choose highlights from the
> archive to put on the web site?
> ** Should we do this anyway?  If so who is going to volunteer to
> organize this?

And on which criteria?

Even the admin list, by the way: In a thread over there, someone wrote
that the admin list should remain closed. I don't think so (the same
admin issues are common to all lists, and tlug discussions could be useful).

People who want to send "private" messages should use email, or better,
regular paper mail, or even better "voice over beer" (*NO*, I am *NOT*
launching a new thread on this subject ;-)

Bruno.

--
GPG Key: 653514E5 (http://www.raoult.com/gpg)