Re: [tlug] Should we stop password protecting the TLUG archives?

On Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 15:06:36 +0900, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
> On 16/12/05, Zev Blut <zb@example.com> wrote:
> > Issues to discuss:
> > * Do we reopen the archives?
>
> A resounding YES!

I agree, but starting from, say, January 06.

> > * Do we attempt to protect our members email addresses?
> > ** If so, how should we do this?
>
> Yes. I like Edward Middleton's suggestion of displaying only the name,
> or, in the case when a "real name" is not available, simply cut off
> the @ sign and everything to the right of it. e.g. if I posted as
> "<jmglov@example.com't-exist>", this would be displayed simply
> as "jmglov" in the archives.

+1

> open the archives that were previously password-protected (i.e. from
> February 2003 to whenever we re-open them), I think we might have to
> allow people, on a per-request basis, to have their archived mails
> pulled. However, I think this should be an all-or-nothing proposition.

Problem is, there are probably people who posted in the past who are
no longer subscribed. They may have posted with the understanding that
their messages wouldn't be public (there could be other reasons than
embarrassment, and whatever the reason is, it's not really our
business).

So I'd suggest, first announce that from [start date] the TLUG
archives will be public. Posts up to that date remain protected, after
that date if people don't like it they can refrain from posting.

Dave