Re: [tlug] Firefox select and seaarch (was IM)

On 13/12/05, David E <dave@?om> wrote:

> On Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:56:32 +0900, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
>
> > (and here is *one* place where I *love* the fact that Windows has
> > that Context Menu / Properties key on the keyboard--anyone know how to
> > make FluxBox / Firefox do that?)
>
> Also, the context menu key, as well as a right-click make the menu pop up in Firefox
> (the context menu key does different things with different software - some useful, some
> not. I just noticed it does "M-x" in Emacs, for example).

I can answer my own question! :)

The reason that Dave noticed that Firefox handles the menu key on his
box is that he is running Debian, which maps the Windows keys (i.e.
the left Windows key, the right Windows key, and the menu key) out of
the box. Firefox is happy to handle the XK_Menu keysym when it sees
it. :)

Here's how to fix it for those of us who run distros or window
managers that don't map the windows keys:

1. Using your favourite text editor, create a file named .xmodmaprc in
your home directory. Add the following lines to the file:

keycode 115 = Super_L
keycode 116 = Super_R
keycode 117 = Menu

Then save and exit.

2. Make your window manager run this command on startup:

xmodmap .xmodmaprc

In GNOME, this is probably accomplised by clicking on the Foot or Red
Hat or whatever icon in the lower left corner of the panel, then
selecting "Preferences" -> "More Preferences" -> "Sessions". Click on
the "Startup Programs" tab, then the "Add" button. In the textbox
labeled "Startup Command", enter:

xmodmap .xmodmaprc

Click on the "OK" button to close the "Add Startup Program" dialogue.
Click on the "Close" button to close the "Sessions" window.

Now, when you login the next time, your Windows keys should work. If
you are impatient, just run, in a terminal window:

xmodmap .xmodmaprc

FluxBox users will want to add this command to their .xinitrc or
.fluxbox/startup or whatever.

Voila! The Menu key works in Firefox, just like Dave said. :)

Cheers,
Josh