Re: [tlug] PCMCIA-Cardbus wireless G network card

On 15/12/05, Christian Rendón <christian.rendon@example.com> wrote:

> Hi i just got japan a month ago and i am looking for a PCMCIA-Cardbus
> wireless G card compatible with linux. I am a little bit lost because
> there are so many brands that i dont know or i am not familiar. If you
> can give me a hint (brand - model - experince with) or tell me any
> linux store around Tokyo or Saitama will be very helpfull.
> Thanks you very much in advance!!

My favourite trick is using one of the big distros' hardware
compatibility database, e.g.:

http://wwwnew.mandriva.com/en/hardware/

Selecting Type: Wireless and Status: Compatible from the above page
netted quite a few results.

Technically, you want to buy a card with a chipset found on this page:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/

The Linux Wireless HOWTO has some info on how to get things working:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Wireless-HOWTO.html

As for "Linux stores", what do you want, exactly? Boxed distros? If
you meant "computer store", I have found Sofmap to be quite nice. They
have locations *everywhere*.

Lyle Saxon has a recommendation for a place in Akiba, called Otto:

http://www.ottonet.co.jp/

He has a map to it, which I am sure he would be kind enough to provide
if you were but to ask. :)

Cheers,
Josh