Re: [tlug] GPL and Linux in Dvico Tivx

On 15/12/05, Jim <jep200404@example.com> wrote:

> There are GPL notification issues.

OK, I was unfamiliar with the notification clause. Sorry about that.

> Also, Mauro[d],

His name is Mauro. The 'd' is actually his middle initial, which was
accidentally concatenated with his first name by an overzealous
manager here at Amazon. :)

> Shall we play?

Good work, as always, Jim! You should have been a detective of some
sort--you certainly have a singular gift for analysis. ;)

> Since the obvious proprietary code is by a third party,
> Sigma Designs Inc., unless Sigma incorporated GPL code
> in their proprietary code, it is unlikely that the
> source code for the proprietary code can be forced
> to be divulged. If Dvico linked Sigma's proprietary
> code with GPL code, only Dvico would be in an awkward
> position.

This seems to me to be the only vector for satisfaction. However, it
would be hard to prove.

libpng is not covered by the GPL--it has its own Open Source licence:

http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/src/libpng-LICENSE.txt

Thanks for the ride, Jim! :)

Cheers,
Josh