Re: [tlug] Offtopic: Sushi Mockumentary

Not to go back to the off-topic topic and ruin the anti-NHK mood, but this
duo is a comic group called Ramens. I am presently sworn-off all TV
(except for NHK news) until my baby turns 3, but I was/am still a big fan
of Ramens.

If you can understand Japanese, I would strongly recommend renting a few
of their DVDs from the video store. They are in the "manzai"
classification, but they are very different from the fast-talking
characterizations and traditional Yoshimoto pattern play of the Osaka
manzai style. They are much closer to Monty Python and their Dadaist
inspirational roots. Both of these guys in Ramens graduated from one of
Tokyo's more impressive art schools, and they are both very good designers
(they have a couple of books out). Their shows are very thoughtful, very
intellectual, and very dignified, in the sense that they don't do
shimo-neta. It is not they dislike toilet humor, but they just don't need
it. They have so much more to give.

So go out and get baptised with Ramens, and leave the shimo-neta to me.

mec