[tlug] [Almost OT] Dvico Tivx

I was walking yesterday evening in Akiba and came across this little device called Tivx.
This little monster is a "multi media player", you can plug an IDE HD into it, connect it to your TV set and play almost anything you have on the HD.

This sounded so cool because despite it size (like a sandwich of two 2.5" HDs)
this device could:

1. Play almost any codec
2. It can do 1280x720p, 1920x1080i (High Definition TV)
3. Outputs for video : Composite, S-Video, Component (YPbPr)
4. Outputs for Audio : Stereo Analog, Digital (Optical and Coaxial)
5. It can play DivX 3.11, 4.x, 5.x, XVID, AVI, MPG1/2/4, DAT, VOB, ISO, IFO
6. Also plays PCM, MP3, Ogg Vorbis, WMA, DTS AND JPG, PNG, GIF, up to 1920x1080
7. Can do NTSC and PAL (So I can bring it to Argentina :)
8. The Interface to the BOX is USB2.0
9. relatively cheap 14,980 JPY

That was all wat it said on the box, but my concerns were:

1. Will I be able to mount it on my Linux BOX through the USB2.0?
2. The package said: FAT32 and NTFS (not exactly what I want)
3. The OSD language is Japanese.

But I took the risk and got it. And now its when this became even better:

1. I found a firmware update that convert everything in English.
2. usd_storage, uhci_hcd, sd_mod and got it mounted so easily

but I still had the problem of the filesystem, and this is when it went from "so cool" to awesome:

I tried to mount the firmware image and WALA! mounted perfectly as romfs and what did I find in it? ... a Linux root filesystem .. I was jumping as if I have discovered gold.
DONE, now not only I have ext2/3 working but also I have a new tiny Linux box with all the cool features to play around with.

I definedly think you should get one of this. The model I got:
http://www.tvix.co.kr/Eng/Products/M3000U.aspx

I got it in Softmap for 14,980JPY.

Just wanted to shout it loud because I am so happy with this discovery :)

I am sorry for the waste of bandwidth,

//mauro//