Re: [tlug] Gmail and mailing lists

On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 08:44:59PM -0500, Jim wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>
> > Gmail ...
>
> > If you subscribe to a mailing list, and send mail to it from gmail,
> > the mail you send will not appear in your gmail inbox.
>
> > You will see all other mail from the mailing list,
> > but you will not see any mail that you send to the mailing list.
>
> Of course, a work around would be to have two separate accounts,
> one for reading, one for writing, or use some other web-based
> email hoster, or run your own mail server.

Yeah, we went through this on the NYCBUG (NY BSD users) list.
Basically, we all agreed it wasn't worth it.

> Although I would not be in favor of TLUG changing its behavior
> to accomodate Gmail's bug,

Err, excuse me Jim, according to them, it's a feature.  It's not a bug.

> that would break threaded readers. Like I said, I don't want TLUG
> to do any mangling to workaround Gmail's bug. It's up to Gmail
> to fix their bug.

Agreed, I'm thinking of hosting a petition, but I don't have time to get
involved with it right now.  If I do, I will be posting to the various
tech mailing lists to which I belong, hoping that some will sign it.

I strongly agree with you though, I don't think tlug should go to effort
to accomodate gmail's bug--err, feature.  (I'm sorry, every time I think
of that, I get annoyed.)

Hopefully, enough people will complain so that gmail will fix it.  It
strikes me that since they are, at present, limiting it to invitation
only, that the user might be more technically adept, and perhaps there
are more complaints about this than we realize.   (If anyone wants a
gmail invite, let me know--but hurry, I only have 99 left.)  :)

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Oz: We survived.
Buffy: Yeah, it was some battle.
Oz: I meant high school.