Re: [tlug] Clunk, Clunk, the Drive is Dead

Responding to a couple posts here actually:

1. It is possible to screw up a drive from software, but that's mostly
done by overuse. Some viriuses may try to do this.
2. Other than such "use it hard till it burns up" schemes it would be very
difficult to harm the drive from software accidently.
3. A low level format will clean up just about any software issue. I had a
friend change a drive from a 80meg to a 120meg in BIOS becuase he "needed
the space" once. Only a low level format cleared that up, but when I did
it the drive performed fine. That was quite a while a go; 120meg was a
good size.
4. I've had drives fail pretty much out of the box. The first few weeks
are actually critical with most hardware. If it's going to fail early it
will do so then most of the time. This is sometimes called a "burn in"
period. It's also critcal for cars. Try not to stress the engine in the
first 1,000km or so and change the oil frequently.