Re: [tlug] Clunk, Clunk, the Drive is Dead

Josh Glover wrote:

On 12/8/05, Mark Sargent <powderkeg@example.com> wrote:

After having to turn off the power, due to the system locking up, and
re-booting, I'm back to the point of being dropped to a shell, only to
finally get to the same sticking point again. I then completely
re-installed, as there wasn't anything worthwhile on the drive, and just
to see what would happen. The install was successful, and I had been
using it for alomost 2 days, when all of a sudden, last evening, I got
some clunking sounds from the drive, and it locked up the whole system,
again. Upon re-starting, I was dropped again, to a shell, for the same
result. Thoughts.? Cheers.

Yes, the drive is about to die. Toss it.

was leaning strongly towards that...curious though, as this drive, even though 1-2yrs old, has had very little use in that time...what could have caused it to just go like that? Can anything, from software level, cause such a thing, or is it purely hardware level.? what I mean, is, even though the harddrive is purely hardware, there must be some sort of software aspect to it, within the drive itself, yes.? Out of me depth here, once again.

With Unix, the *kernel* almost never gets so messed up that you need
to re-install. Your instinct to do so probably stemmed from years of
Windows use, right? :)
No, it was just to see what would happen(and a little bit from my windoze days..hehe).

Seriously, the only time you really "need" to reinstall from scratch
is when you feel the software has gotten out of hand, and don't want
to deal with the dependency nightmare that trimming your installed
software down would probably entail.

ok

When you get a hardware-related error from something as low-level as
fsck, that is almost always an indication of an actual hardware
problem, not corrupted software.
got it

-Josh
Cheers.