[tlug] "UTF-8 & ISO-2022-JP"

Just a quick note about getting Japanese text through the wires. With webpages I'm finding that Japanese text displays fine with UTF-8 (although the English fonts - on some machines - don't look as good as I've experienced using ISO-8859-1), but e-mail is another issue (you would think that if it worked for browsers it would work for e-mail, but that's not the case... yet?).

As mentioned in here previously, sending J-text to cell phones was one example where ISO-2022-JP was getting through the wires (and air) in readable form, but where UTF-8 was turning to bakemoji. I sent a J-text message in UTF-8 to a Yahoo.co.jp (not sure what happens with Yahoo.com) address this morning and discovered that it turned to bakemoji and none of the Japanese encoding choices of the browser (FireFox on SuSE 9.3 Linux) would convert it to readable form. I resent it as ISO-2022-JP and it came through the wires in good condition - looking the same as it appeared on the originating screen.

Please note that I'm not posting this to discuss what method *ought* to be used, but rather to report on my on-the-ground experiences in the trenches with J-text messages often turning to bakemoji. The way I have my e-mail client (Mozilla) set now is to UTF-8 for default messages and then I manually select ISO-2022-JP when I have a J-text message to send someone who is using software/settings/provider/whatever that only seems to be happy with ISO-2022-JP.

Lyle