Re: [tlug] Mea Culpa

Mark Sargent <powderkeg@example.com> wrote:

> I ... ask you to now address this here.

I must oblige you.

> ... I actually noticed that you had entered the list's
> address, and removed it, before replying to you directly, ...

I had to read that several times to figure out what you meant:

   ... I actually noticed that you had entered the list's
   address, and [I, (Mark)] removed it, before replying to you directly, ...

I previously thought you did not understand how I had used the
Reply-To field and the distinction between setting the reply
address (with the Reply-To value) and forwarding. I now
understand that you did understand the Reply-To field and
really did think that I forwarded your email.

> how did it make it's way to the list.?

Your reply was posted to the list because you posted it to the list,
possibly due to email client bug or misconfiguration,
but more likely due to simple pilot error.

Yes. I set the reply address, more particularly, the _default_
reply address for _your_ reply with the Reply-To field.
But that's all I did. I did _not_ forward your email to the list.

> since you decided to bring it on to here

Apologies should be as public as the offense.
Private apologies for public offenses are feeble.
Since my offense was public, I was _obliged_ to apologize likewise.
My public apology was only that, and was not a plea for discussion
in private or public. If, when and where to discuss is your
perogative, not mine.

When you mentioned that you were going to discuss this more
at the next meeting, it was in the spirit not ducking any
blow due me that I said that you also entitled to discuss
this where your reply when. I.e., on the list. So when you
wrote:

> I ... ask you to now address this here.

it was you who asked for this public discussion
as you are entitled and it is I who must oblige you.

Jim