Re: [tlug] US keyboards

Alain Hoang wrote:

After two years of trying to 'adjust' to a Japanese keyboard I still have to admit... they still suck.  Having the single quote character shift-7 is certainly some sort of punishment for getting the @ and : without a shift key imo. What might not be helping me is that I have
a US layout keyboard on the main machine I do my coding in the lab however all the other machines are Japanese layout so when I have to move to a different machine it's like finding that I've been driving on the wrong side of the road... in the middle of rush hour.
   But at least it's not as torturous as trying to type on the Zaurus keyboard.  Sure it's not bad for its size but I still consider it awful and am waiting for the Next Great UI Leap (off the cliff) for tiny devices.
What I did to get around that is to just set Japanese keyboards (while I was using them anyway!) to US keyboard settings and then I went on merrily touch typing with the same old layout I was used to on US keyboards. That said, I recently have to use some mutant-W boxes with Japanese keyboards and layout (too many machines and for too a short a period to time to make keyboard layout changes) and the biggest irritant is the shifted parenthesis - which causes errors going in both directions. Those years of Shift-7 for apostrophes and Shift-2 for quotation marks paid off in that I can get back into that arrangement without much trouble....

Lyle