Re: [tlug] Video Clips

On 12/3/05, Walter Hansen <gandalf@example.com> wrote:

> I used to know this guy who wrote C++ like that. 60-70 words per minute.
> I'm more of a think about it, write a bit, think about it write a bit kind
> of person.

I have a feeling this guy was writing the same sort of code over and
over again. Perhaps his time would have been better spent writing
templates so he could focus on the interesting bits of coding, such as
algorithms. :)

I have found that with the truly good programmers, there seems to be
surprisingly little coding done. They think on something for a while,
sketch some algorthmic details on a whiteboard, look at library
documentation, browse existing code, and finally, sit down, code for
an hour, producing 200 lines of code that solves the problem
perfectly. :)

Of course, this is without time pressures, when even the most hoary
software engineer can be forced to just hack the code out.

Cheers,
Josh