[tlug] Video Clips

I'm helping a friend put a site together and they (unfortunately) want
some video clips on their site. Any tips on what the most cross-platform compatible formats are?

Also - I think they're going to give me a DVD with some stuff (with no
copyright issues or copyguard AFAIK).  Is there something within the
Linux world I can use to edit out a couple of clips of 20-25 seconds in
length?  (Hopefully reading the data directly from the DVD drive in my
Linux box and not relying on an external player, but I suppose the
on-board video capabilities of my old 450MHz Dell are probably not up to
the task?)

Lyle