Re: [tlug] SVN: Your Environment, BerkleyDB/Web or FSFS?

Ian Wells wrote:

> On 11/29/05, *Josh Glover* <jmglov@example.com
> <mailto:jmglov@example.com??>> wrote:
>
>     On 11/29/05, Jim Tittsler <jwt-tlug@example.com
>     <mailto:jwt-tlug@example.com??>> wrote:
>     Seriously, I saw some nasty wedging with BDB when I upgraded
>     Subversion 1.0 to 1.1. This might have been an artifact of my version
>     of BDB on Solaris 8, but all I know is that FSFS has never caused me
>     any trouble, and I have never seen this bad news with it:
>

> I moved over because I'd read that FSFS was less platform-specific.
> When you've got a machine with Windows svn binaries and cygwin ones
> and you're concerned that someone might mix and match, this is a minor
> issue.  Anwyay, it seemed to improve the performance (as would moving
> from svn 1.0 to 1.2, I imagine...)

There are two main issues with db.
* db versions are not compatiable (you need to dump and load your
database to upgrade)
* each process locks the db so if the process doesn't cleanly close the
db is wedged.  This is especially a problem with subversion though apache.

for details on fsfs
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/notes/fsfs

>     I run SVN with the regular svnserve, not as a WebDAV module. As I
>     mentioned in my presentation, this is mainly because WebDAV was a bear
>     to setup and I did not have the time to get it working. I imagine that
>     WebDAV is the way to go, since it gives you all the super-fly Apache
>     access controls for free.
>

> Is there any other reason to do this?  I've never really worked out
> what advantages you get with webdav - but, to be honest, I've never
> really worked out why the svn developers would be interested in
> supporting 2 protocols, either.

You get everything that comes with apache e.g. user authentication,
access control.  It uses a standard protocol (web_dav) which is
supported (to varying degrees) by a range of clients (e.g. webfolders).
Because web_dav is based on http you can access the latest files
directly from their url's.  Its actually possiable to host a live site
on a repository.

>     I use the standard, CLI SVN client. As should you. Though Trac is
>     great for project management and bug tracking, and integrates
>     *nicely*
>     with SVN.
>
> I work with some TortoiseSVN adherents (the Windows Shell plugin) and
> I second the Trac integration, although it means that I wouldn't want
> just anyone looking at the contents of Trac, as they get to see all
> our commit messages...

TortoiseSVN is good for windows users who won't use a command line client.

Edward