Re: [tlug] Free program translates Euro languages to/from English

>  > In intercultural communication then we have a mismatch where Japanese
>> people don't feel American are listening because Americans (well most
>> English speakers) don't use the same devices to show they are
>> listening.

I always thought that Japanese aizuchi (the nods and hai's and sou desu
ka's) were the equivalent of intently looking at and quietly listening to
someone in English. I even trained many of my students to hold back some
of the aizuchi because Japanese speakers would often say "yes" repeatedly
and quickly while the non-Japanese is talking, and it would often be
construed as, "Yes, yes, get on with it" or "Yes, I know that already." I
taught them to look the speaker in the eyes and listen quietly, intently,
and then respond when the speaker is finished.