Re: [tlug] Config Files

Walter Hansen wrote:

> I'm not sure specifically, but most any linux app I know of
> saves configuration and any data files to the users home
> directory regardless of where it is installed. This is to make
> backups and transfers easy.

The Unix security model is a big consideration. Apps run as a
user, have to put files in directories that they permission to
modify. That usually means their home directory and subdirectories
thereof. That that makes backups and transfers easy is more of
a coincidental side effect of the Unix security model.