Re: [tlug] SSH'ing to home

Jim,

 Thank you for the constructive questions.
I must admit that when it comes to e-mail, I have a tendency to
write first, think later.

Let me see if I can expand a little bit more on my troubles.

1) The problem is that as of last week I cannot seem to access
anything outside of the internal network other than web pages.
Although I am not 100% sure, I am making the assumption that all
traffic other than port 80 is being blocked or being routed through a
web proxy server.

2) My home server is running smoothly and I can access ssh from
external locations. I was able to do so from work up until last week.
After finding out that I could not connect via ssh to my home server,
I did a number of tests using ping/ftp/telnet to numerous locations
all of which failed. The only thing I am able to do is access
websites.

3) As for what is being blocked and where, I cannot be sure. I am
given a Windows 98 client that was able to do ssh/ftp/ping/telnet/http
up until very recently. After my machine was unable to connect to
anything other than http sites, I did some tests around the office and
confirmed that every machine is acting the same as my own. Websites
are available, but nothing else.

To be honest, I am not sure what a tunnel does. When I was looking for
information on how to solve this problem, the term came up as a
potential solution. I have a vague idea of what it is, but I am not
clear on specifics nor about how to implement one. (or even if it
would help)

 I am working under the assumption that I can only use port 80 to
access the sites outside of my work's internal network. This may or
may not be the case, but as of right now I don't have much else to go
on.

I hope this is a little bit clearer.

Sincerely,
David