Re: [tlug] SSH'ing to home

David Bennett wrote:

> I would like to be able to SSH into my machine at home from work.
> At work, we are running Windows 98 and only port 80 seems to be functioning.
> Ie. I can view websites, but ping/telnet/ftp/ssh everything else is shutdown.
>
> I believe this is the barebones of my problem.

Which end (or both) are network filters giving you grief?
Micheal E Cooper asked some good questions:

> Have you ssh'd into home server from a friend's house or other
> non-work location? In other words, you are sure that your home server is
> accessible by putty, right?

I think you need to:

1. First study and understand the problem well.

   What is blocked?
   Where is it blocked?

   As Cooper wrote, it would be good to know how well you can
   get out from work to the internet in general, not just from
   work to your home computer. Also, it would be good to know
   what ports on your home computer can be accessed from the
   internet in general besides from work.

2. Then try the simplest solution first.

   Tunnels are a big complicated solution. Try them last.

   First try simple solutions like just putting your
   home's ssh server on ports 80 or 443.

When you said:

> Ie. I can view websites, but ping/telnet/ftp/ssh everything else is shutdown.

I get the impression that you were having trouble doing such from
work, but it's not completely clear.

It would be good to be clear about subject and object in every
sentence. Even pronouns can lead us into wrong assumptions about
what you mean.

Jim