Re: [tlug] SSH'ing to home with only port 80

    David>  As of yesterday only port 80 is open at work.
    David> I desperately need to be able to ssh into my computer at
    David> home. I was wonderig if there was any sort of tunnel/proxy
    David> solution that I could use?

sshd -p 80 seems like the simplest solution.

However, (1) you're violating company policy in spirit at least and
(2) if they have the brains that God gave the dumbest script kiddie,
port 80 isn't open, it's proxied, and your home is not on the list of
permitted servers.  Ditto 443.

Do you _really_ need shell access?  If not, run an application server
(like Zope).  And if 443 is not open, the URL https://dave@example.com:80/
will probably DTRT, with security from men in the middle (including
snoopy company cops).  That may violate company policy, though.  (It
sure would if I were writing the policy, assuming you could get me
anywhere near a place that shuts down everything but port 80.)

The application server has the advantage that it will definitely work
transparently across a proxy.

It seems to me that it should be trivial to expose a Python or Ruby
interpreter to the Web, although you probably don't want to do that.
:-)

    David> Anyone else have any good ideas/software?

The only software that probably doesn't violate company policy at
least in spirit is the application server.  Everything else (including
sshd -p 80) is definitely evil.

Wearing-my-zebra-striped-hat-ly y'rs,