Re: [tlug] Hard drive failure

Josh Glover wrote:

I've had bad luck with Dell boxen and hardware failures. Which would
be fine, except that I have had *extremely* bad luck with their
customer service. So bad that I will never buy or recommend a Dell
again.

The only good thing about Dell, IMO, is that they place pricing
pressure on the other computer vendors, like IBM (who still makes
durable, dependable machines, AFAIK).

Things change. When I was at a PR company in 2000, the IBM machines they had (Aptiva - from 1998-99) were junk (from a serviceability standpoint that is), the Dell boxes (from 1999 - 2000) were much better, and the service from Dell was excellent..... I've always liked IBM laptops (good keyboards), but haven't heard - until now - anyone enthusiastic about them. What models of IBM do you recommend (both new and used). From my standpoint, I recommend year 2000 OptiPlexes (reliable, easy to service), but they're getting a bit old.....

Lyle