Re: [tlug] on 'Mechanics...' and selecting printers

Micheal E Cooper wrote:
> Our General Affairs was using a Canon laser that prints fine, but the
> rubber roller has tiny cracks in the surface and feels dry and hard. It
> just wouldn't feed anymore, so we replaced it with a cheaper model. Five
> years old.
>
> Around the same time, one of our oldest printers, an HP LJ5M, finally gave
> up the ghost. It just won't feed paper anymore. Same thing. Funny roller.
> Maybe 8 years old, if not 10.
>
> It seems like the rubber just dries up and hardens with time. They should
> be replaceable.

They are ... if you wanted to do it yourself you would probably have to
order a parts kit directly from HP, which could be expensive. As for
repair shops, it's been a while since I was in Japan, and I never needed
any hardware repaired when I was there, but around here (metro Denver)
there are several shops that will do that kind of repair for
considerably less than the price of a new printer.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA