Re: [tlug] Ubuntu Breezy and Knoppix 4

Joseph Essertier <essertier@example.com> writes:

> >Also, I have some cases of font bizareness for
> >glyphs for a few uncommon characters. It's possible that might be
> >due to some kludge that's in the Japan Knoppix files.
> >
> What's a kludge?  A bug?

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kludge

  "A 'solution' for accomplishing a task, originally a mechanical
  one and usually an engineering one, which consists of various
  otherwise unrelated parts and mechanisms, cobbled together in an
  untidy or downright messy manner."

Actually, as far as this particular bit of font bizareness on my
system, I'm think it's being generous to call it a kludge. I think
"somebody's really stupid idea" is a better description.  The
cause is some font package that has a font file (or files) in
which some of the correct glyphs for certain code points have been
replaced with other glyphs.

More details if you care to see them are in a message I posted a
few months back -

  http://www.tlug.jp/ML/0506/msg00106.html

Regards,

  --Mike

(I'd still like to know how to figure out what font it is that
Gecko-based browsers are picking up to use for the code points I
mention in that message.)