Re: [tlug] GPS

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 13:22 +0900, Josh Glover wrote:
> On 10/7/05, Ben Konrath <ben@example.com> wrote:
>
> > I was using this unit at my summer job:
> > http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexLegend/
>
> Yes, this one looks great. I don't mind the serial interface (though
> USB *would* be preferable). The GPS Babel software that Baba mentioned
> *does* support this unit, I checked.

Do you plan on dragging your laptop around when you do the data
acquisition? If so, you might want to consider something like this:

http://www.prairie.mb.ca/gps10deluxe.htm
http://www.prairie.mb.ca/gps18_5Hz.htm (there's a usb version listed on
                                        the garmin site.)

The advantage would be that you don't have to worry about getting maps
of Japan because you should be able to get maps with the linux software.
The downside would be that you would be limited to the battery life of
your laptop ... unless you had a PDA that can accept a GPS card of some
sort.

Oh, I just found this site that might help (I was redirected to it from
http://garmin.co.jp):

http://www.iiyo.net/

It seems that the Vista isn't that much more expensive than the Legend
so it might be worth the extra 16 megs of storage space. Also, it seems
that this site lists the "Mapsource World Map" so you might be in luck.

I should probably mention that normally one uses Mapsource to put the
maps on the GPS unit. The problem is that Mapsource only runs on Windows
so be prepared if you run into that trap.

Cheers, Ben

--
Ben Konrath