Re: [tlug] Japanese regex question

    Ben> So it's actually a very sensible compromise to have a utf-8
    Ben> handle, I think; it doesn't break legacy code.

Please note that my proposal also does not turn the existing breakage
in legacy code into a showstopper; it simply requires the programmer
or user to admit that the legacy code is broken by _explicitly_ using
a backward compatibility option.

If we had started making legacy code embarrassing in 1995, most of the
people on this list wouldn't know there was a problem, because most of
the programs they use were written since then.

    Ben> I completely disagree with you; I think the Perl designers
    Ben> have got this issue right and that the Unicode support in
    Ben> Perl is excellent.

Where did I say that the Unicode support in Perl is not excellent?