Re: [tlug] Japanese Input on CentOS / KDE

Scott,

    I think I have something here. A person on another list suggested
that I place the following in ~/.bash_profile:
export XMODIFIERS='@example.com=kinput2'
export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8
/usr/X11R6/bin/kinput2 -canna &

    And it works great! With these settings in the .bash_profile file, I
can even enter Japanese at the prompt in a standard KDE konsole. It's
available in pretty much every application I start.

    The person who suggested this approach said that if I want this
available for all users that I should put these same lines of code into
/etc/profile.d. But that same person also said that this "might not be
the best approach", although I'm not sure what his concern exactly is.

    Anyway, now I have Japanese working exactly as I want it for my user
account (I can enter Japanese at will in any application, any time).

    I'm kind of curious to take that next step and make it a global
setting for all users, but I notice that you offer different suggestions
as to what files should have the settings. I can see that we're
basically talking about the same three settings, but putting them in
different places. And I was wondering if there were advantages,
disadvantages to them. If your way was better in some way, I would
conform to that.

    But at the very least, putting the settings as above is another
thing you can add to advice for users. It works like a charm for CentOS
4.1, and might be just as applicable to all builds of Red Hat.

Dave