Re: [tlug] Japanese Input on CentOS / KDE

On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 12:53:19PM +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> Scott,
>     In true-blue newbie style, I do everything as much as possible in GUI mode.
> I like GUIs. They make me feel gooey and safe. In fact, I'm hoping that when
> all this is over, I will be able to not have to go to the terminal every time I
> need to do something.
>     So, yes, I boot in GUI mode. The screen that loads all the drivers and
> everything is GUI, and the screen where I enter my username and password is
> GUI.

While there's nothing wrong with being a newcomer, and nothing really
wrong with wanting to boot into GUI mode, I feel my job is done.  :)

That is, we have it so that you can input Japanese at will.  (You can
also experiment, changing the eucjp to utf8 and seeing what does and
doesn't work.)

I don't use KDE and I don't boot up in a GUI.  I think you'd be better
off changing it to boot into text mode--you'll also find that your
machine boots more quickly.

In part this is laziness, in part it's also a belief that people should
boot into text mode.  (To do that, see my faq for Linux newcomers at

http://www.scottro.net/linfaq.html

There's a question there about changing bootup from text to GUI or vice
versa.)

The one thing I would suggest, is rather than even running the script,
is simply have the jinput.sh script read

#!/bin/bash
kinput2 -canna &

Then, put the environment variables in .bashrc or .bash_profile.  That
is, in .bashrc

XMODIFIERS=@example.com=kinput2
LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.eucJP

I think that would work, though it's untested.

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Spike:'Made with care for Randy.' (looks at Giles angrily) Randy
Giles? Why not just call me 'Horny Giles,' or 'Desperate for a
Shag Giles'? I knew there was a reason I hated you!
Giles: Randy's ... a family name, undoubtedly.