Re: [tlug] Japanese Input on CentOS / KDE

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 11:48:28PM +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> Scott,
>
> >As I'm finding the scim/anthy combo quite flexible, I'm tempted to steer
> >you towards them.   However, in the interim (I'm getting ready to go to
> >work at present)
> >
> Go ahead and steer me to the flexible methods! Right now I have no experience,
> preferences, or faith in any one method for Japanese input, so if someone who
> does have experience, i.e you, says scim/anthy has advantages over the other,
> then I'm totally up for installing and using that one.

Hrrm.  You have kinput2 and canna already in place however.  Let me
think--we've had a bunch of disasters at work, and right now I'm too
stressed to think intelligently.  I'd like to throw centos on something
and see for myself.

> Anyway, here are the results of the commands you suggested:
>
> [root@example.com dave]# which cannaserver kinput2
> /usr/sbin/cannaserver
> /usr/X11R6/bin/kinput2
>
> In the ntsysv screen, there were, of course, lots of things unrelated to
> Japanese input, so I tried to focus on the ones that I knew were relevant.
> However, this leaves us open to the possibility that there were some Japanese
> related services with names I didn't recognize in the list that I don't know to
> make mention of. Anyway, here were the services I recognized, and their status:
> [ ] FreeWnn
> [*] canna
> [*] iiim

Canna is starting on boot, FreeWnn isn't, so that is good.

You use kde with which I'm unfamiliar, but just for fun, let's try this.
You should have kterm as well check that with

which kterm

Assuming you get an answer, make sure kinput2 is running

ps ax | grep kinput2

You should see something (I think) saying it's running with canna.

If it is fine, if not

killall kinput2
kinput2 -canna &

Next

XMODIFIERS='@example.com=kinput2' LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.eucjp kterm

A kterminal should open

In the kterm type

vi

To open the vi editor (If you're not familiar with the vi editor, than
type pico or nano, two simpler editors.  Naw, freak it, use vi.  If you
hit a key and nothing happens, hit i as in insert and insert should show
up at the bottom of the screen.

Assuming we get that far, then please hit shift space and see if you get
hiragana.

- --

Scott

GPG KeyID EB3467D6
( 1B848 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6)

Xander: So, Buffy, how'd the slaying go last night?
Buffy: Xander!
Xander: I mean, how'd the laying go? No, I don't mean that either.