Re: [tlug] Website Question(s)

Matt Gushee wrote:

>> [LHS] Thank you very much for this answer.  One more question - would
>> it be better to set up my links with "%7E" in stead of "~"?
>

> As far as I know it's not really necessary. There are tons of URLs
> that use '~', and I've never heard of a browser not being able to
> handle it. Maybe there are certain (human) languages where it becomes
> problematic, but that's just a guess.

The language angle is one thing I've been wondering about - the person
having trouble with the links is in Portugal....

>>  [LHS] I'm assuming not and I hadn't worried about it until the issue
>> of a friend having trouble opening some of my pages came up.  What I
>> still find strange though, is how I'll click on one of my links which
>> is set up with the "~" mark, and sometimes that's exactly what is
>> displayed in the address bar and other times it's been converted.  If
>> it were all one way or the other, I would just get used to it, but
>> the erratic behavior part of it is what's confusing.
>

> Indeed. You're saying that the exact same link will be displayed
> differently at times? No idea why that would happen. Still, any
> reasonable Web browser (including Mozilla-based browsers and MSIE 5+)
> should do the right thing whichever way the character is displayed.

Yes, the exact same link from the exact same page and page location!

More details....  Last night, I wanted to send a link, so I clicked on
the link to double check the page and then went to copy the addresses
out of the address bar... noticed that it was converted into "%7E", so I
went to another page of my site that has the link written out, copy
pasted that, and got this:
http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~LLLtrs/PhotoGlryMain/pgb/Kurihama01a.html
<http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/%7ELLLtrs/PhotoGlryMain/pgb/Kurihama01a.html>

The upper version is what is in text, and while the link was created
with the exact same address, just copy-pasting that into an e-mail
produced the above after the HTML formatting was converted to plain
text.  Then, I got this reply from the person in Portugal:

"I just had some free time at the office to check out the new page. By
the way, the second link doesn't work."

And then, on the page you suggested, I found this:

"Percent character ("%") 25 37  This is used to URL encode/escape other
characters, so it should itself also be encoded."

So... am I looking at a situation where if the link is received with the
"~" mark, the receiving browser converts it and there's no problem, but
if it has been converted *before* it gets to the receiving browser, it
sees the "%" mark and ends up converting it to something unreadable?
Now that I've written that out, it seems to make sense.  Now... how do I
stop the link from being changed before it gets to people's computers
then?  Thinking of the frequency of how often I get the converted
version in the address bar - it seems about the same as the reports I'm
getting from Portugal of pages that aren't opening.....  I'm using
Mozilla 1.7.8.....

Lyle