Re: [tlug] Website Question(s)

Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:

> Thank you very much for this answer.  One more question - would it be
> better to set up my links with "%7E" in stead of "~"?

As far as I know it's not really necessary. There are tons of URLs that
use '~', and I've never heard of a browser not being able to handle it.
Maybe there are certain (human) languages where it becomes problematic,
but that's just a guess.

>  I'm assuming not
> and I hadn't worried about it until the issue of a friend having trouble
> opening some of my pages came up.  What I still find strange though, is
> how I'll click on one of my links which is set up with the "~" mark, and
> sometimes that's exactly what is displayed in the address bar and other
> times it's been converted.  If it were all one way or the other, I would
> just get used to it, but the erratic behavior part of it is what's
> confusing.

Indeed. You're saying that the exact same link will be displayed
differently at times? No idea why that would happen. Still, any
reasonable Web browser (including Mozilla-based browsers and MSIE 5+)
should do the right thing whichever way the character is displayed.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA