Re: [tlug] OT: a good ogg vorbis portable player?

On 7/28/05, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon <ronfaxon@example.com> wrote:

> Are there different types of .wav files then?   The ones I've tried work
> with no problem.  There was also the comment from another user that is
> having no problems.  I used an old version of MusicMatch (6.0) to create
> them.....

Oh yes, there are several file formats called WAVE.

The most common one is the so-called Microsoft WAVE file, which is PCM
data wrapped in an RIFF header.

And then there are WAVE files with SPERE headers, which several of the
Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR) packages tend to prefer, e.g.
Nuance.

And of course, the PCM data itself can have different numbers of audio
channels (most commonly one for mono sound and two for stereo sound),
different sampling rates, and different sample sizes (e.g. eight, 16,
or 32 bits).

Any of these things could confuse a piece of firmware that is trying
to play a WAVE file.

Cheers,
Josh