Re: [tlug] OT (sorta) A Langauge Question

"Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon" <ronfaxon@example.com> wrote:
>> I have several print dictionaries, including a large J-E Kenkyusha, but
>> does anyone remember the scandal when a team of native English speaking
>> university professors took a good look at just one letter in the
>> Kenkyusha Lighthouse dictionary? It was pretty incredible what they
>> found! Kenkyusha tried to hide the facts by buying up the small book
>> that came out and by saying that maybe the examples were slightly old at
>> times, but that they weren't wrong. In actual fact though, many of them
>> were very definitely wrong (the example English sentences I mean);
>> others were questionable; and others right, but not optimal. Since them,
>> I've never quite trusted Kenkyusha, although some electronic
>> dictionaries I have that use it don't seem to be too bad. The problem,
>> by the way, was with English example sentences in their E-J dictionary.....

The big Kenkyusha JE, known in the translator community as the Green
Goddess, had some wondefully archaic and at times mangled English in
both the translations and examples. The new 5th edition (aka GG5) came
out in 2003 and is a vast improvment over the 30yo GG4. Over half the
editors listed up the front are NSoEs (although many of those joined
late for the polishing.) Tom Gally, who I mentioned previously, worked
on it, and wrote some very good articles about it. See:

	http://www.gally.net/leavings/01/0112.html
	http://www.gally.net/leavings/01/0134.html
	http://www.gally.net/leavings/00/0095.html

The GG5 is available on CD and online. I subscribe to the online
edition (about Y550/mo). It has the advantage of being tapped in to
the current database.

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Breen                                http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/
Clayton School of Information Technology,               Tel: +61 3 9905 9554