Re: [tlug] Charset and other problems with MySQL versions

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 03:08:30PM +0900, Edward Wright wrote:

> > I do have the old database. I took your advice and copied the 4.1.12 data
> > back to the 3.23 (not 2.23 as I'd previously said) machine, imported to and
> > exported from the 3.23 install. I then moved the exported data to the 4.1.12
> > machine and tried:
>
> Just to clarify...
> I meant to start from a known good database.... presumably the original
> 3.23 database.
> Make a dump of that data. (Mauro's suggestion to use the -Q flag sounds
> good.)
> Then use that dump to create the database on the new (4.1) server.

The client had already started using the new database, so new data had been
written to it on the new server before we realized that they couldn't make a
dump of it. That's why I had to take the data out of the 4.1 install (by just
tarballing the db directories) and move it over to the 3.23, dump it using
mysqldump under 3.23 and then import with "<" on the command line in 4.1.
Mysqldump in 4.1 has some stuff for conversion of previous formats, judging
by some of the output I saw.

> You might need to create the empty database first. You might want
> to set a default charset. See the manual sections 10.3.1 and following.

I did try both of those.

> > but get...
> >
> > ERROR at line 3978: Unknown command '\''.
>
> You might also want to look inside the file at line 3978 and see exactly what
> the import is choking on.

... and the above..., after which I saw Mauro's mail and read the mysqldump manpage to
find out more about the -Q option. That seems to have worked - keeping my
fingers crossed to make sure.

Thanks Ed and Mauro!

Shawn