Re: [tlug] Charset and other problems with MySQL versions

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 02:05:03PM +0900, Shawn wrote:
> Thanks Ed,
>
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 01:32:46AM +0900, Edward Wright wrote:
> >
> > You DO still have the old database, right? Why not try mysqldump of the
> > data from there, and use that file to create the new database. Check the
> > mysqldump man page for options... there are quite a few....  'tho if you
> > are lucky you may not need them. I have had to edit the output of
> > mysqldump occasionally to get it to import.
>
> I do have the old database. I took your advice and copied the 4.1.12 data
> back to the 3.23 (not 2.23 as I'd previously said) machine, imported to and
> exported from the 3.23 install. I then moved the exported data to the 4.1.12
> machine and tried:

Just to clarify...
I meant to start from a known good database.... presumably the original
3.23 database.
Make a dump of that data. (Mauro's suggestion to use the -Q flag sounds
good.)
Then use that dump to create the database on the new (4.1) server.

You might need to create the empty database first. You might want
to set a default charset. See the manual sections 10.3.1 and following.

> but get...
>
> ERROR at line 3978: Unknown command '\''.

You might also want to look inside the file at line 3978 and see exactly what
the import is choking on.

> Any further suggestions?

Not really......

Good luck!