[tlug] [tlug-digest] Re: emacs and unicode

Stephen wrote:

"Mule-UCS is good enough for most people who want to use Emacs to write
English and Japanese to save and read files in UTF-8, but it isn't
reliable or comprehensive, it is not extensible to Unicode characters
not supported by Mule, and it is unmaintained (and unmaintainable by
anyone but the author, who has abandoned it as far as I know)."

Thanks for the explanation-- I did not realize it was that big a
problem, with support and future developments. It has worked well for
me, but I look forward to full integration. Now I understand why I have
not been able to figure on my own (without Stephens's help) how to do
interesting additional things in emacs with utf-8.

David Riggs