[tlug] Japanese pages don't display correctly

I thought I was doing the right thing, but my web page doesn't display
correctly. I have  <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
charset=euc-jp"> in the <HEAD>, and I saved the file as euc-jp (in
emacs, C-x RET f euc-jp), but it still shows up as 文字化け in my
browser unless I explicitly select EUC-JP in the character encoding
menu.

What am I doing wrong?

(My site is https://snl.ath.cx -- see for yourself)
--
Stuart Luppescu -=-=- s-luppescu <AT> uchicago <DOT> edu
CCSR at U of C ,.;-*^*-;.,  www.consortium-chicago.org