[tlug] [tlug-digest] Reading Mac OS X Japanese files names in Linux

(Thanks everybody for the help on using tr, I was being too optimistic)

I have some data from an Mac OS X friend that includes lots of Japanese
file names. I can copy the data over OK, but no matter how I mount the
usb the names are garbage. I tried the usual -o iocharset=euc-jp  and
utf-8 and sjis and various things that got my system pretty upset. And
emacs will usually figure out how to read the file name if you set
file-name-coding-system to similar values, but nothing works in emacs
either. When I get Japanese file names from WinXP I just set to euc-jp
and it seems fine.

So what is the secret to Mac OS X Japanese file name?

Thanks,

David Riggs
Kyoto