Re: [tlug] Debian-101

Hi .)

Normaly, the resolution and other parameters related to X are stored in
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Before changing it, you should find out what are your hardware
paremeters. Eg. monitor resolution, graphics card chip, ... etc.

So you can either edit it manualy (perhaps a bit of reading and learning
would be necessary for changing resolution) or you can use some of the
already created tools (see below).

So my approach would be to backup the configuration file and than look
at it in eg. vi or other editor. If you feel like you would like to
enjoy some experiments, than change it and restart X. It is a nice way
to find out about things.

Other approach would be to backup the configuration file and than run
as root "xf86cfg". This is a graphical interface for changing the
configuration file. After you change things, it will ask you wheather it
should write changes to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.
Of course, everytime you want the change to take effect, you need to
restart xserver.

Instead of running "xf86cfg" unter x window, you can also run in
terminal a command "xf86config" which will ask you a series of questions
and based on your answers it will again write changes to above mentioned
configuration file.

As for the gnome or kde, I cannot give any advice myself except "try
google" one :)

HTH.

Best regards
Michal