Re: [tlug] Re: [tlug-digest] Website mirroring utility?

On Thursday 23 June 2005 08:00, Jim Breen wrote:
> Michael Smith <smith@example.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I think "wget --mirror" works pretty well.
>
> Aha. Thanks. That should do.
>
> >> I just did a quick apt-cache search "mirror", and that shows
> >> applications called "omt", "httrack", and "w3mir". I've not used
> >> any of them and have no idea what advantages (if any) they might
> >> have over just using wget.
>
> I glanced at the pages of httrack and w3mir and they seem to do more
> and have more configurable options than "wget --mirror", but they are
> all more than I need.
>
> None of them can only retrieve updated pages, and since the site I
> want to mirror is happy to make a tarball of it, I may just have a
> cron-driven collection of the lot that way. (If an rsync were
> available I'd use that.)
Well, i think rsync is the fast & best to compare even the binary files
and do a differential  transfer.  To run rysnc ideally you may not need
a rsync server, it can go through either rsh or ssh  tunneling also.

The following may an example syntax.
rsync -e <ssh|rsh> -za <source> <destination>

-Thomas