[tlug] GNU EMacs & Japanese files

Hi,

I posted the following message on usenet newsgroup sci.lang.japan and was
advised by Jim Breen that it was a suitable question for this forum. Any
ideas?

"Every time I try to open a file in Gnu Emacs which is written in Japanese,
Emacs always gets it wrong and fouls up the characters. I tried using "set
language environment Japanese" using the menu, but it doesn't seem to help.
In the end, to get files into Emacs I've had to resort to cutting and
pasting. Even with the cutting and pasting, though, Emacs refuses to
recognize it as Japanese unless I use "set-selection-coding-system" to
something like "japanese-7bit".

I'm sure a lot of other people must have had this kind of problem. What am I
doing wrong? Thank you in advance for any feedback."

Thank you also TLUG members for any assistance addressed either here or to
sci.lang.japan.

Danny.