Re: [tlug] Stuff for give-away

> Hey, I noticed your page
>
>     Joe>   http://ushigami.org/newstyle/junk0506.html
>
> is under a Creative Commons license.  I'm curious how you came to the
> decision, and whether you use any of their other services (like
> copyright escrow).

I didn't spend much time looking around, really. I wanted something
pre-packaged so I would not have to do any work myself. For text that I
might someday want to publish as part of a larger work (obviously not the
give-away list... this experimental site is built from a template), the
GPL is both too liberal (anyone can change a few words and republish the
work as their own) and too limiting (in that re-publication prohibits the
mingling of this my with other works).

You might also notice I'm using the non-commercial license. It was not a
decision of one-vs-another as much as something-vs-nothing.

I've never really looked deeply into their other services. Licensing seems
fairly safe -- even if C.C. disappears tomorrow, the license still exists
and I can still use it (provided I keep a local copy, just in case ;-). As
an escrow service, I'd be worried about the relatively short time they've
been around and what might happen if the whole operation fell into legal
limbo for some reason.

> BTW, one traditional alternative method of disposal is to make sure
> there's a couple of "goodies" in the lot (to make it worthwhile for
> the group) then contribute everything as a package to TLUG for
> auctioning.

I would not be adverse to that. Most of the stuff in the list is older and
might not live up to the image of "goodies". I was also hoping someone
might actually come over and take the lot -- thus leaving me more time to
pack the other stuff ;-).

Most of the stuff could be easily slipped into the moenai-gomi but it's a
bit of a waste if there's someone out there with a need that one of these
objects might easily fill.

--
Joe Larabell -- Synopsys VCS Support      US: larabell@example.com
http://wwwin.synopsys.com/~larabell/   Japan: larabell@?jp