Re: [tlug] OT-Japanese in PHP

    >> Is your middle name Sisyphus?

    Mark> I don't understand the reference...was it a positive or a
    Mark> negative..? positive, I hope!!

Sisyphus was the character the Greek gods punished by having him roll
a boulder up a hill ... then making him slip, so he had to do it all
over again.

    Mark> wouldn't even know what I18N is...will look at it later...

INTERNATIONALIZATION     (unless you're Brit-kei, the only Brit who
X000000000111111111X     can spell is Harry Potter).
X123456789012345678X
 |_______18_______|

    >> It shouldn't be this hard.

    Mark> well, it seems that it is...got a solution..?

To the PHP problems, no.  PHP is, uh, how do I say it?  "A language
that Design forgot."  That'll do.

For Japanese, I use Plone/Zope[1].  So far all the Zope products I've
tried worked with Japanese scripts[2] out of the box for me.  The
basic Python I18N facilities are very well thought out and fairly easy
to use correctly, so most Python-based projects do use them.

Footnotes:
[1]  Admittedly, Plone and Zope can get real crufty.  "Zope Page
Templates."  "TAL."  "METAL."  <shudder>  But the Pythonistas
understand language design.

[2]  Ie, I suspect they won't handle era dates and other
internationalization so well.  But I've taken the coward's way out on
those: ISO 8601 or RFC 822 dates.  Everybody can read those anyway.