Re: [tlug] Japanese Encoding / 9.1-9.3 Upgrade

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 10:52:00AM +0900, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:
> Scott Robbins wrote:
>
> >>[Lyle]: I need to warn you about something.  Regarding Japanese input
> >>

> >I haven't been following this thread.  However, in older versions of OO
> >(the 1.x versions) I would get the little boxes as I entered, but
> >hitting enter would get me the characters.
> >

> Banzai!!!  That did it!  Stupid of me not to have gone into the settings
> for OpenOffice!  Also, with 1.1.4, you have to manually select a
> Japanese font, which changes to boxes in the... um... tool bar is it?
> But then it inputs with no problem.

Which I forgot to mention, so, since I'm supposed to know better, I
apologize.  This is one reason Jonathan has often said that the beginner
should document what they do--when you've been doing something awhile,
it becomes second nature and you forget to mention it.

> With 2.0Pre (that's what SuSE calls it, it's actually 1.9+), it works
> more seamlessly... once Japanese is enabled in Options that is!

Agreed, that's what I'm using on FreeBSD.  The interface is also nicer,
(probably more important from an advocacy standpoint).  The FreeBSD
development version is up to 1.9.105

Also, in the 1.x versions (vs what is actually 1.9) I always found that
input brought up the little squares, however, that has been fixed in
what we'll call 2.x.

> So, first, thank you very much for the tip that has solved that issue
> for me (very important to me - so really, thank you very much) and also
> thank you for the other tips, which I'll try along with some other
> things on my test box first and then - gradually, hopefully I will
> finally cross the line and begin to understand the way Linux can most
> effectively be operated.

I don't know if you've caught the page I mentioned eariler--I have a
page on Japanese input in *inx at
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/jpninpt.html which some folks
have found helpful.  It also has a link to Dr. Mike's page (Mike, are
you still here?) and he's the SuSE expert.

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Buffy: You're missing the whole point of Halloween.
Willow: Free candy?!