Re: [tlug] Japanese Encoding / 9.1-9.3 Upgrade

Scott Robbins wrote:

>>[Lyle]: I need to warn you about something.  Regarding Japanese input working on
>>OpnOf, while it's working fine on the computer I did a new install on in
>>Japanese, it's not working on the machine I upgrade installed English
>>(with Japanese support).
>>

>I haven't been following this thread.  However, in older versions of OO
>(the 1.x versions) I would get the little boxes as I entered, but
>hitting enter would get me the characters.

Banzai!!!  That did it!  Stupid of me not to have gone into the settings
for OpenOffice!  Also, with 1.1.4, you have to manually select a
Japanese font, which changes to boxes in the... um... tool bar is it?
But then it inputs with no problem.

With 2.0Pre (that's what SuSE calls it, it's actually 1.9+), it works
more seamlessly... once Japanese is enabled in Options that is!

So, first, thank you very much for the tip that has solved that issue
for me (very important to me - so really, thank you very much) and also
thank you for the other tips, which I'll try along with some other
things on my test box first and then - gradually, hopefully I will
finally cross the line and begin to understand the way Linux can most
effectively be operated.

Lyle