Re: [tlug] SuSE 9.1 - 9.3 Upgrade Saga

On 5/25/05, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon <ronfaxon@example.com> wrote:

> Josh Glover wrote:
>
> >Nope, you've got it right. Many Linux distributions still play some
> >stty games to map C-s / C-q to terminal stop and start, respectively.
> >That is one of the first things I correct in my .bash_profile.
>
> .bash_profile... how do I alter that?  If it's too much trouble to explain, never mind, but
> if not, I'd smile at my computer screen to see how it's done....

To unmap C-s and C-q, which is useful so that bash can do a forward
history search with C-s, simply place these two lines in your
.bash_profile:

stty start ''
stty stop  ''

(That is two single quote marks on each line, not a double quote.)

In addition to the resource that Scott pointed out, I have a page on
setting up your .bash_profile and .bashrc to increase your shell
productivity:

http://www.jmglov.net/unix/bash.html

Cheers,
Josh