>>> Dave I agree that is another valid point.
>>>
>>> I think he should first rule out the other problems though
>>>
>>> A. Make a test page with some Japanese text in HTML and test. IS
>>> that OK? If yes go to B
>>>
>>> B. Make a test page in PHP with the same text and test. IS that OK?
>>> If yes go to C.
>>>
>>> C. Make a test PHP page that pulls data from the DB. And in 3
>>> separate lines with each line (data in the db encoded differently IE
>>> UTF-8, Shift-jis and EUC) and see what comes out right.
>>>
>>> Also it is important to check the co-location in your DB if your
>>> using MYSQL 4.XXXXXXXXXX there are very specific settings that I
>>> have had a lot of trouble with my self in the past..... But that is
>>> another issue I am sure.
>>>
>>> E./
>>>

>> Test A:
>> Hondaは、スポーティで安心感のある走りに加え、上質な内外装、高い安全性
>> 能により好評を得ているアコードシリーズ(アコード/アコードワゴン)を
>> 改良 し、本日より全国のホンダクリオ店から発売する。
>>
>>  アコードでは、充実した装備の24TLにエアロパーツや17インチアルミホ
>> イール、スポーツサスペンションを装備した「スポーツパッケージ」を、ア
>> コードワゴンでは、2.0Lエンジンを搭載したベーシックなタイプ「20A」を、
>> それぞれ新 たに設定。お客様の幅広い要望に応えられるタイプ設定とした。
>>  また今回、アコード20A、20ELのFF車と、アコードワゴン20A、24EのFF車は
>> 「平成17年排出ガス基準75%低減レベル(★★★★低排出ガス車)」認定を新た
>> に取得し、高い環境性能を実現するとともにグリーン税制の適用対象を拡大
>> した。
>>

>> Result Test A(Comes out as coded in UTF-8)
>> Honda縺ッ縲√せ繝昴・繝・ぅ縺ァ螳牙ソ・─縺ョ縺ゅk襍ー繧翫↓蜉 縺医∽ク願ウェ縺ェ
>> 蜀・、冶」・・ォ倥>螳牙・諤ァ閭ス縺ォ繧医j螂ス隧輔r蠕励※縺・k繧「繧ウ繝シ繝
>> 峨す繝ェ繝シ繧コ・医い繧ウ繝シ繝会シ上い繧ウ繝シ繝峨Ρ繧エ繝ウ・峨r謾ケ濶ッ縺励∵
>> 悽譌・繧医j蜈ィ蝗ス縺ョ繝帙Φ繝繧ッ繝ェ繧ェ蠎励°繧臥匱螢イ縺吶k縲・縲繧「繧ウ
>> 繝シ繝峨〒縺ッ縲∝・螳溘@縺溯」・y縺ョ24TL縺ォ繧ィ繧「繝ュ繝代・繝・d17繧、
>> 繝ウ繝√い繝ォ繝溘・繧、繝シ繝ォ縲√せ繝昴・繝・し繧ケ繝壹Φ繧キ繝ァ繝ウ繧定」・y
>> 縺励◆縲後せ繝昴・繝・ヱ繝・こ繝シ繧ク縲阪r縲√い繧ウ繝シ繝峨Ρ繧エ繝ウ縺ァ縺ッ
>> 縲・.0L繧ィ繝ウ繧ク繝ウ繧呈政霈峨@縺溘・繝シ繧キ繝・け縺ェ繧ソ繧、繝励・0A縲
>> 阪r縲√◎繧後◇繧梧眠縺溘↓險ュ螳壹ゅ♀螳「讒倥・蟷・コ・>隕∵悍縺ォ蠢懊∴繧峨
>> l繧九ち繧、繝苓ィュ螳壹→ 縺励◆縲・縲縺セ縺滉サ雁屓縲√い繧ウ繝シ繝・0A縲・
>> 0EL縺ョFF霆翫→縲√い繧ウ繝シ繝峨 Ρ繧エ繝ウ20A縲・4E縺ョFF霆翫・縲悟ケウ謌・7蟷
>> エ謗貞・繧ャ繧ケ蝓コ貅・5・・ス取ク帙Ξ 繝吶Ν・遺・笘・・笘・ス取賜蜃コ繧ャ繧ケ
>> 霆奇シ峨崎ェ榊ョ壹r譁ー縺溘↓蜿門セ励@縲・ォ倥>迺ー蠅・ァ閭ス繧貞ョ溽樟縺吶k
>> 縺ィ縺ィ繧ゅ↓繧ー繝ェ繝シ繝ウ遞主宛縺ョ驕ゥ 逕ィ蟇セ雎。繧呈僑螟ァ縺励◆縲・
>>
>> Now, I realized, after an email from Dave E that I had
>> internal.encoding as UTF-8 although the database encoding is SJIS. I
>> just wasn't fully understanding what all the settings were doing.
>> I've now changed the internal to SJIS, double checked that the page
>> is set for SJIS also, but, the page only displays if I either change
>> it in the browser to UTF-8 or set the page to that(Test A page, that
>> is). I've added below my settings. The original page, that displays
>> the database content, which is set to Shift_JIS also still doesn't
>> display, at all. Thoughts..? Cheers.
>>
>> EDIT: I went and copied the data from the database into the Test A
>> page and it also would only display correctly if I set it to UTF-8 in
>> the browser. So, this narrows it down to, that the code is being
>> coded to UTF-8. I don't understand this, as I've set all settings to
>> SJIS. Obviously I'm missing something very fundamental, which I'm
>> sure will pointed out to me, real quick. Cheers, again.
>>
>> Mark Sargent.
>>

>> mbstring.detect_order auto
>>
>> mbstring.encoding_translation On

> [...]
Hi All,

Erin, I would, if it existed. I even tried adding AddDefaultCharset
Shift_jis..perhaps it is wrong.? Cheers.

Mark Sargent.

#
AddDefaultCharset Shift_JIS
AddCharset ISO-8859-1  .iso8859-1  .latin1
AddCharset ISO-8859-2  .iso8859-2  .latin2 .cen
AddCharset ISO-8859-3  .iso8859-3  .latin3
AddCharset ISO-8859-4  .iso8859-4  .latin4
AddCharset ISO-8859-5  .iso8859-5  .latin5 .cyr .iso-ru
AddCharset ISO-8859-6  .iso8859-6  .latin6 .arb
AddCharset ISO-8859-7  .iso8859-7  .latin7 .grk
AddCharset ISO-8859-8  .iso8859-8  .latin8 .heb
AddCharset ISO-8859-9  .iso8859-9  .latin9 .trk
AddCharset ISO-2022-JP .iso2022-jp .jis
AddCharset ISO-2022-KR .iso2022-kr .kis
AddCharset ISO-2022-CN .iso2022-cn .cis
AddCharset Big5        .Big5       .big5
# For russian, more than one charset is used (depends on client, mostly):
AddCharset WINDOWS-1251 .cp-1251   .win-1251
AddCharset CP866       .cp866
AddCharset KOI8-r      .koi8-r .koi8-ru
AddCharset KOI8-ru     .koi8-uk .ua
AddCharset ISO-10646-UCS-2 .ucs2